Friday, January 27, 2012

Lesson Fifteen: Pukana


Pukana

The aardwolf is New Zealand’s apex predator. As the name suggests, it is part aardvark and part timber wolf; possessing the most terrifying attributes of both creatures. Native New Zealand islanders, known as the Maori, tell tales of this bloodthirsty beast raiding their villages to steal their sons & daughters. 

It is well documented that the aardwolf needs the soft flesh of Maori children to feed to its own ravenous offspring, which nest in the swaying branches of the baobab tree.

The Maori have developed display threats to protect themselves from this predator, including the stamping of feet and grimacing of face; the latter of which is known as “Pukana.” The fearsome-looking Pukana face features bulging eyes and an extended tongue, and was designed after the heinous visage of the aardwolf itself.

-RVB

P.S. Apologies if there are any inaccuracies in today’s entry: My Internet connection is down and I am “going commando” with the facts.


3 comments:

  1. You would protect me from an Aardwolf, would you not, Nat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your jokeing but as a proud Maori man I find this post offensive. Aardwolf? I live half my life at home and never heard of a aardwolf.

    ReplyDelete